Spain right-back Alvaro Arbeloa has spoken out against those who have criticised his country’s Euro 2012 campaign.
Despite topping a tricky Group C, which also containted the Republic of Ireland, Italy and Croatia, Spain have been widely panned for failing to replicate the flowing football that won them the tournament four years ago.
However, Arbeloa believes the public anticipate too much of his side, and that they are facing tough opposition in every match in Ukraine and Poland.
“All that (debate) talks volumes about the demands made on Spain,” he told AS.
“People do not seem to realise that in a competition like this the difficulty is huge.
“You cannot win every game 3-0, you cannot be brilliant every time. The opposition play too but it is as if they do not exist.”
“I’ve played in England, I know what kind of games they like: open, loads of chances. Maybe when people see our type of game, a game defined by control, they find that boring.
“That’s normal. I can comprehend that.”
Ahead of Saturday’s quarter-final clash with France, Arbeloa spoke about Laurent Blanc’s team’s recent defeat to Sweden, and admitted he was surprised to see them finish second in Group D.
“I was watching England-Ukraine, not France, because I thought we had play England. I was surprised that France did not beat Sweden because they were not playing for anything,” Arbeloa said.
“But for everyone it’s been hard to win; this tournament has been more equal than people expected. It is a pity, I quite fancied England, but it’s still a huge game. It’s going to be very hard.”
- Muamba remains critical after cardiac arrest
- New pro soccer league grips Afghans
- Walters favourite for Tallinn task
- Soccer players get set for the joy of six-a-side competition
- Brazil says Blatter apologizes over Valcke remarks
- How to get the best online casino for the satisfaction and entertainment
- Still a lot to play for in CONCACAF women's soccer final between Canada and US
- Real Salt Lake Injury Update: Nat Borchers, Jamison Olave Will Both Travel
- Portugal draws 1-1 with NIreland in WCup qualifier
- Great Tips About Soccer That Anyone Can Use
Submited by robert - Comment RSS 2.0 - leave a comment - trackback