Success-starved Indonesiasoccer fans, desperate to watch the final of a regionaltournament against rivals Malaysia, set a ticket booth on fireat the national stadium in Jakarta ahead of the game on Monday.
Police doused the flames and fired warning shots in the air,scattering a crowd of thousands of supporters who were unable toget into the Bung Karno stadium, with a capacity of 88,000,after tickets quickly sold out.
Indonesia saw off Vietnam in their semi-final and areexpecting home advantage to help them to victory in the final ofthe Southeast Asia Games, in a re-match of their ASEAN Cup finalclash last December that Malaysia won.
In the first leg of that game in Kuala Lumpur, Indonesiaplayers walked off the pitch and accused local fans of dazzlingthem with laser beams, returning to the field only to be thumped3-0.
The two neighbouring nations have a history of spats outsidesport, from ownership of maritime territory to culinaryheritage.
Despite being by far the biggest country in the area,Indonesia last won a regional soccer gold in 1991 and have neverwon the ASEAN Cup.
Indonesia is the world’s fourth most populous country witharound 240 million people but has played only once at the WorldCup, in 1938.
- Their Artist Well behind One could realise longchamp reliant upon a write
- Tribun Soccer : Esperance Juara Liga Champions Afrika
- Northern Ireland manager Michael O'Neill has picked a youthful squad to face ...
- Nwokoma Misses Gabon Train
- Soccer-Senegal coach refuses to quit despite exit
- Guard trust jealously
- Our company to develop all-inclusive of sporting goods: clothing, footwear, nike shoes sports equipment and ugg boots
- Spain, Italy rematch in historic Euro 2012 final
- NY Fury News
- Pele will join Blatter for Brazil meeting
Submited by hilman - Comment RSS 2.0 - leave a comment - trackback