The Russian Football Union will face disciplinary proceedings by European soccer body UEFA following crowd disturbances and the use of pyrotechnics during and after Russia’s 4-1 win over the Czech Republic at Euro 2012.Video has emerged appearing to show a crowd of Russian fans punching and kicking stewards in a passageway in the stadium, while there were also reports of racist abuse directed at Czech player Theodor Gebre Selassie, who is black.
The proceedings relate to “crowd disturbances” as well as “the setting off and throwing of fireworks and the display of illicit banners,” UEFA stated in a website statement Saturday.
The leader of Russia’s official fan club boasted that Russian supporters gave Euro 2012 stewards “a kicking” in a stadium brawl in comments to R-Sport on Saturday.
The incident started as Russian fans left the Municipal Stadium in Wroclaw following the game, and reportedly left four Polish stewards requiring hospital treatment.
“When they tried to detain one person in a heavy-handed manner, well, of course they were given a kicking,” Alexander Shprygin, head of the All-Russian Fans’ Union, said.
Shprygin’s organisation has close ties to the Russian Football Union, the country’s football governing body, and is often given tickets for international games to distribute to fans.
The racism allegations are the subject of a separate investigation being conducted jointly by UEFA and the Football Against Racism in Europe organisation, which deploys anti-racism observers at matches.
- U.S. men's soccer fails to reach Olympics
- Trouble for Blackburn
- Panthers' soccer squad crumbles against Gibbons
- Italy soccer suspends after player dies
- Football on the outer
- Soccer: Payne shooting for first team
- The firm is appearing out of the entrance plainly by giving an impressive quantity of brands from both Discount Oakley Sunglasses
- They're guide doing exercises you really savour insanity workout
- Champions League win helps Chelsea to profit
- Everything You Should Know About Online Payday Loans
Submited by chuck - Comment RSS 2.0 - leave a comment - trackback