Published: 7:48AM Sunday June 03, 2012 Source: Reuters
England soccer team manager Roy Hodgson attends a news conference to announce the Euro 2012 England squad. – Source: Reuters
Manager Roy Hodgson showed tiny anxiety and a dry sense ofhumour this day as he faced a potential injury crisis after guidingEngland to a 1-0 win over Belgium in their final Euro 2012 warm-upat Wembley.
The phlegmatic Hodgson stated he was concerned at the prospect oflosing defenders Gary Cahill (possible broken jaw) and John Terry(hamstring problem) after the Chelsea team mates were sent forscans after a sometimes rugged, if low-key, friendly.
“I’m not thinking too much about it now but we will know theoutcome in a couple of hours and then I will give it seriousthought,” the manager told reporters, referring to Cahill’sinjury.
The Chelsea central defender was hurt when Belgium striker DriesMertens shoved him into England goalkeeper Joe Hart.
Mertens was cautioned after the incident in the 17th minute leftCahill prone and, after immediate treatment on the field, unfit tocontinue.
Hodgson added that Terry, who won his 73rd cap, had complainedof a tight hamstring muscle, which may have been due to fatigueafter a week of intensive training. He stated it was a necessaryprecaution to send him for a scan.
Asked about likely replacements, he joked: “Well, yes, I thinkwe are running out of standby players…”
England have lost reserve goalkeeper John Ruddy and twoexperienced key midfielders Frank Lampard, winner of 90 caps, andGareth Barry, 53 caps, already from the original squad.
“We will have to deal with it when the time comes,” he said,having added that captain Steven Gerrard limped off with cramp andgoal-scorer Danny Welbeck was withdrawn to protect him from astomach reaction to antibiotics.
“We did not want to take any more risks,” he said.
He praised his team’s application, particularly in keeping agood shape defensively, but stated they needed to work on theirattacking play ahead of their opening Euro 2012 game against Franceon June 11.
“I’m not prepared to be too critical because of the applicationand concentration of the players, as encapsulated by Gerrard,” heexplained.
Asked if he knew already, in his own mind, his likely line-upagainst France, he said: “Every game helps clear things in my mind,but I am not going to speak about it — even if these days that is awaste of time because you lot always know the team before Ido.”
Copyright © 2012, Television New Zealand Limited. Breaking and Daily News, Sport & Weather | TV ONE, TV2 | Ondemand
- Insanity Workout loosen up Drug free loosely prohibiting your muscles
- Flashback: 'Set-up' goal starts Prep to title; Millard North wins girls soccer ...
- Soccer great Diego Maradona remains in Dubai as special sports 'ambassador'
- Viet Nam to host 2016 Asian Beach Games
- Lv Monogrammed Vernis Alma Bleu Gutt Bags are pretty straight forward however classy, fashionable in addition to wise, many at the same time
- Lv Epi Buckskin hand bags determine their own beat popular modern-day need to have, these people came up on while venture product leather-based range throughout 1985
- Just What Does a great Insanity Workout Think
- Chelsea stumble in title race with draw at Wigan
- COLLEGE SOCCER: Neumann making its way through uncharted territory
- National Conference Center Partners With Loudoun Soccer
Submited by Gillan - Comment RSS 2.0 - leave a comment - trackback