House Speaker sets up committee to determine ideal way to immortalise the late footballer
The Majority Leader of the Kwara State House of Assembly, Abraham Asaolu, has urged the say government to immortalise the late Super Eagles player, Rashidi Yekini, by naming the Ilorin State Stadium Complex after him.
Asaolu made the call on the floor of the House on Thursday, under Matters of Urgent Public Importance, saying the contributions of the one time African Footballer of the Year to the growth of soccer in the country and Africa can’t be over emphasised.
He added that immortalising Yekini would encourage other sportsmen and women to be dedicated while representing the country at sporting competitions.
Adamu Sabi, another lawmaker, supported the Majority Leader, noting that the late soccer prodigy projected Nigeria and Kwara within the comity of football playing nations.
“During the playing days of Rashidi Yekini, each time I traveled outside Nigeria, people always ask about him and that showed the extent he had gone to launder the image of the country,” he said.
The Speaker, Rasak Atunwa set up a six-man committee to recommend to the House how ideal to immortalise the late player.
- The Many Sights of Byron Bay
- The 10 Best Resources For Sports
- Dalglish defends Liverpool over racism criticism
- Eight Reasons World Football Is Better Than Baseball
- Points parade: Saints and Brees at Broncos and Manning
- Foreign coaches struggle in Chinese soccer league
- Soccer: U.S. women forget politics, beat North Korea
- Whitecaps aren't taking FC Edmonton for granted
- Olympics:Beckham likely to play
- locate a good insanity workout DVD close by and purchase your audited habitually.
Submited by chuck - Comment RSS 2.0 - leave a comment - trackback