Former Republic of Ireland and Manchester United captain Roy Keane is to sponsor a soccer scholarship as part of University College Cork’s centenary of sport celebrations.
Get 250e worth of free bets from PaddyPower, easy click here
The Roy Keane UCC Sport 100 Soccer Scholarship and an elite hurling scholarship, sponsored by former Limerick senior hurler Michael J Dowling, will each be worth €20,000 to their recipients over a four-year period.
The two new scholarships, supplementing UCC’s current funding programme for elite athletes, will be available to incoming first year students.
A native of Mayfield on the outskirts of Cork city, Keane received an Honorary Doctorate of Laws from UCC in 2002 in recognition of his contribution to sport and his charitable work.
“I am delighted to support UCC’s centenary of sporting success through this elite sports scholarship,” the 40 year-old said.
The High Performance Athlete Programme at UCC offers aspiring sports people incredible facilities and opportunities, and this elite scholarship, which is open to female and male soccer players, will provide a promising sportsperson the opportunity to reach the full extent of their capabilities and talent.
Dowling, who is now the President and CEO of North Short LIJ Health System, played Fitzgibbon Cup hurling for the university while studying for his Bachelor of Arts and Higher Diploma from 1967-1971.
- Police strike ends in Rio de Janeiro
- Sac State blanked by Cal State Fullerton 2-0
- TV Pundit turns out for Welsh side after comments on SkyTV
- Benjani launches youth festival
- Win 1 of 3 copies of The Rise and Fall of a White Collar Hooligan ...
- Racist Tweets Result in 56 Days in Jail
- Apple is still encouraging the panel suppliers to produce additional at any expense,
- China's former deputy soccer chief jailed for 10 years in corruption crackdown
- WPS suspends operations for 2012
- talkSPORT Eyes Asia Expansion
Submited by Alina - Comment RSS 2.0 - leave a comment - trackback