LONDON Nov 29 – Didier Drogba has refusedChelsea’s offer of a one-year contract extension and will gowherever he is offered the most money next year after alsoturning down a loan move to AC Milan, his agent stated on Tuesday.
The 33-year-old Ivory Coast striker has scored almost 150goals for Chelsea since moving from Olympique Marseille in 2004for 24 million pounds ($37.4 million) and has helped the club towin three Premier League titles and three FA Cups.
However, it now looks as if he will leave Stamford Bridgefor nothing when his contract expires next year.
Drogba was weighing up lucrative options including possiblemoves to America, Russia or Asia, one of his agents, ThiernoSeydi, was widely quoted as saying by British media.
“Didier has had the offer of a one-year extension fromChelsea. That does not suit us,” Seydi said.
“We know what we want, where we want to go and what offerswe have. AC Milan came in for Didier on loan with an option tobuy but I stated ‘No’ straight away. Their offer did not interestus.
“At Didier’s age, he has nothing left to prove as a player.He will go where he is offered the most money.
“It could be the United States, Russia, Qatar or somewhereelse in Asia. Once you are well into your thirties you have togo to a club where you can be certain you will be able to pay yourbills.
“LA Galaxy are a possibility among many others. He has beenlinked with Anzhi Makhachkala in Russia, as they pay well. Butneither Didier nor I have had an offer from them yet.”
Drogba might not be the only veteran forward on his way outof Stamford Bridge as Nicolas Anelka, 32, who has made only sixappearances this season, has been linked with a move to Chineseclub Shanghai Shenhua.
The former France international joined Chelsea from Boltonfor 15 million pounds in 2008 and has scored more than 70 goalsfor the club. (Reporting by Mike Collett; Editing by Clare Fallon)
- Redknapp favourite to replace Capello as England coach
- One-on-One with Jimmy Obleda, NSCAA Youth Coach of the Year
- Football: Wigan, Blackburn big FA Cup casualties
- Friendswood, Sharpstown advance in soccer doubleheader
- Bosnia hit by defensive crisis for Portugal match
- Sunderland vs Queens Park Rangers 2012 en vivo por Fox Soccer 2Go
- Behind general manager Sockers find winning solution
- Canada's women's soccer team dealing with early injuries at Olympic qualifier
- Roger Espinoza's immediate future
- Training for a Triathlon
Submited by Alina - Comment RSS 2.0 - leave a comment - trackback