LONDON | Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:33pm IST
LONDON Aug 18 – United States forward ClintDempsey has not burnt his bridges with Fulham by refusing toplay and could still feature for the west London club if adesired move does not materialise, manager Martin Jol stated onSaturday.
Fulham showed they hardly needed last season’s top scorerwhen they romped to a 5-0 home win over Norwich City on thePremier League’s opening day but Jol’s post-match newsconference was still dominated by Dempsey’s no-show.
“If you want to move you do not want to take risks, you don’twant to play because you could get an injury. That’s a veryawkward situation for us and for me and for him as well,” Joltold reporters.
“Maybe Clint knows more than us but we feel and the playersfeel and everyone else feels that he should stay here if thereis no other bid because there is no other bid.
“In a normal world you have to stay where you are becauseyou signed your contract and hopefully he will play for usagain.” added Jol.
Dempsey scored 17 league goals for Fulham last term despitenot being an out-and-out striker and United States boss JuergenKlinsmann stated in May he hoped the 29-year-old would move to aChampions League side after his fine campaign.
Liverpool, who are not in the Champions League this seasonand started life under new manager Brendan Rodgers with a 3-0defeat at West Bromwich Albion on Saturday, have long beenlinked in the media with a bid for Dempsey along with Arsenal.
Arsene Wenger’s Arsenal side, who drew 0-0 with Sunderland,are in Europe’s elite competition and need fresh forwards afterselling leading striker Robin van Persie to Manchester United. (Writing by Mark Meadows; Editing by Tim Hart)
- Column: Champions League gets thinking fan's final
- Touring With Pets This Summer months? A handful of Tips on how to Keep Your Parajumpers Protected
- Soccer-UEFA Europa League play-off round results
- Sir Ben's Wednesday Wisdom: The Revolution that Shaped American Soccer
- Norwich and former manager Lambert suing each other
- UPDATE 2-Soccer-Hulk, Witsel join Zenit St Petersburg
- Super Mario Bros. - Italians Mario Balotelli and TOWIE star Falcone are pals
- Is Carlos Tevez traitor or savior?
- Nike selling its Umbro brand, known for its soccer jerseys, for $225 million to Iconix
- The spectre of hate
Submited by jessica - Comment RSS 2.0 - leave a comment - trackback