Didier Deschamps is the new coach of France’s troubled national soccer team.
The French Football Federation announced the appointment on its website Sunday after Laurent Blanc turned down a new contract offer last month.
Deschamps quit as Marseille coach a week ago despite leading the French club to a league title and a record three straight League Cups.
As a player, Deschamps captained France to victory at the 1998 World Cup and 2000 European Championship.
He also won the Champions League with Marseille in 1993 and Juventus in ’96.
“Didier Deschamps is obviously the right man for this job,” French league president Frederic Thiriez said. “In this difficult context, the France team needs a man with his character and experience.”
BOCANEGRA GOING BACK: U.S. captain Carlos Bocanegra will return to Glasgow Rangers on Friday, unsure whether he will stay with the bankrupt club.
Rangers signed the American defender from France’s Saint-Etienne last August, but the 140-year-old club has tax debts of $32.7 million and entered bankruptcy protection in February. The team’s assets were bought by a new company last month, but it was refused admission to the Scottish Premier League.
CAPTAIN GIGGS: Manchester United midfielder Ryan Giggs, 38, was chosen captain of Britain’s Olympic soccer team, with coach Stuart Pearce turning to David Beckham’s former teammate after slicing the L.A. Galaxy star.
TV MONEY QUESTIONED: Malaga’s Qatari owner stated the distribution of TV money in the Spanish league is “corrupt,” claiming bribes ensure top clubs earn more than the rest.
- Nike unveils new primary uniforms for United States men's team
- Politics seen behind Bosnia soccer violence
- Be Cautious That Payday Loans Don't Take Control Of Your Money
- Topless Ukraine activist grabs Euro soccer cup
- Singapore seal humbling Games for Thai soccer
- Methods For Getting The Payday Loan That You Need
- Right here she's scrambling to the waiting around automobile away from
- Natalie Coughlin's natural beauty steals Upton's Sports llustrated Cover thunder
- Gus Johnson is now calling soccer?!?
- Toronto FC slashes season ticket prices after disastrous MLS season
Submited by robert - Comment RSS 2.0 - leave a comment - trackback