The Southridge Storm rained on everybody’s parade en route to capturing the championship banner at the B.C. High School Senior Girls A Soccer Championships in Kelowna last weekend.
The Fraser Valley champs went undefeated in five games, including a dramatic 2-0 extra-time win over Victoria’s Glenlyon-Norfolk in Saturday’s gold medal match.
Seeded second heading into the tournament, the Storm roared out of the starting gate by thrashing pool rivals George M. Dawson (Haida Gwai), Nakusp and Osoyoos by a combined score of 31-1.
The Storm faced their first huge test of the championships in the semifinal round against host Immaculata.
Midfielder Katie Bishop connected for the game’s only goal to send Southridge into Saturday’s final.
The gold medal match featured the two top seeds in the tourney with the Storm squaring off against top-ranked Gryphons of Glenlyon Norfolk. Neither team could muster a goal in regulation time but Bishop struck early in the first overtime session to give the Storm the lead.
With the Gryphons pressing for the equalizer in the second OT session, Southridge’s Carina Lauzon bagged the insurance marker to wrap up the scoring.
Southridge defender Julia Lauzon was named the tournament MVP while older sister Carina Lauzon captured the Golden Boot award thanks to 16 goals in five games.
Shannon Fraser was selected as the Southridge representative in the Commissioner’s XI team.
- Spanish Cup final to be held at Atletico's stadium
- Philippine rugby volcanoes erupt into Asian Five Nations
- Tokyo stadium set for billion dollar facelift
- Cape Town hopeful over Africa Cup of Nations bid
- Robert Mancini dabs wine behind his ears, doesn't pay for dinner
- Soccer-'Shameful' Pepe under fire after Messi stamp
- Lack Of Accuracy Stumps No. 4 Carolina Women's Soccer In Season Opener
- Soccer-Wenger set to recall exiled Bendtner
- Former Brazil great Zico resigns as Iraq's national soccer coach over breach of ...
- Soccer Digest: World Cup legend Alan McLoughlin vows to battle cancer
Submited by sofia - Comment RSS 2.0 - leave a comment - trackback