The Southridge Storm rained on everybody’s parade en route to capturing the championship banner at the B.C. High School Senior Girls A Soccer Championships in Kelowna last weekend.
The Fraser Valley champs went undefeated in five games, including a dramatic 2-0 extra-time win over Victoria’s Glenlyon-Norfolk in Saturday’s gold medal match.
Seeded second heading into the tournament, the Storm roared out of the starting gate by thrashing pool rivals George M. Dawson (Haida Gwai), Nakusp and Osoyoos by a combined score of 31-1.
The Storm faced their first huge test of the championships in the semifinal round against host Immaculata.
Midfielder Katie Bishop connected for the game’s only goal to send Southridge into Saturday’s final.
The gold medal match featured the two top seeds in the tourney with the Storm squaring off against top-ranked Gryphons of Glenlyon Norfolk. Neither team could muster a goal in regulation time but Bishop struck early in the first overtime session to give the Storm the lead.
With the Gryphons pressing for the equalizer in the second OT session, Southridge’s Carina Lauzon bagged the insurance marker to wrap up the scoring.
Southridge defender Julia Lauzon was named the tournament MVP while older sister Carina Lauzon captured the Golden Boot award thanks to 16 goals in five games.
Shannon Fraser was selected as the Southridge representative in the Commissioner’s XI team.
- Capello quits as England manager
- Sunrise blur NFR charge
- 2012 Summer Olympics: 5 Countries Who Should Be Competing in ...
- CONCACAF Tries to Oust Chuck Blazer From FIFA
- What percentage Body Parts Drunk driving insanity WorkOut Every month?
- Impact thrilled with first MLS season, except for not making playoffs
- Q&A: India Soccer Captain Set for Final Match, Against Bayern Munich
- O'Neill linked with vacancy in the North
- MLS chief says Beckham has 'delivered' and hopes for more
- Inexpensive christian louboutin british purchase are a great manufacturer that a lot of folks consider
Submited by sofia - Comment RSS 2.0 - leave a comment - trackback