CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – Indi Cowie, a freshman on the University of North Carolina women’s soccer team, has recently been named the winner of the 2012 World Soccer Freestyle champion sponsored by EA Sports. The highly touted freshman forward/midfielder from Cary, N.C., is one of 14 recruits in Anson Dorrance’s freshman class that begins play in August 2012.
Cowie entered the competition with the blessing of both Dorrance and assistant coach Chris Ducar, who was the primary recruiter of Cowie when she was in high school. EA Sports ran this year’s competition on a global scale. Contestants entered by submitting videos on YouTube.
The on-line contest was open to both male and female competitors and for the first four weeks public voting helped determine who would advance to the later stages of the competition. The top eight vote getters were advanced on as well as two wild card entries chosen by the EA Sports staff.
Four top European soccer players narrowed the field to four with Cowie’s video making it to the finals. These players included Jack Wilshere of Arsenal, Xabi Alonso of Real Madrid, Steve Mandanda of Marseille and Bafetimbi Gomis of Lyon.
On Tuesday, Cowie was named the winner of the competition with the final judgment being made by Lionel Messi of FC Barcelona, considered by many to be the world’s top soccer player.
You can all the videos in the competition at the following link:
You can also view Indi Cowie’s competition video on You Tube below:
- TFF needs programs of CAF competitions
- Overwhelmed by the Complexity of Devices? This May Help
- Women's Professional Soccer folds after 3 years
- Betting ring in Malaysia raked in $1B
- Soccer doubleheader at AT&T Park
- Padula Enjoying His Second Career
- US Soccer Team Accidentally Snubs American Troops
- EURO 2012 LIVE: Spain 2, Italy 0
- Protest apps bring hi-tech flair to Thai rallies
- Santos, everywhere but the moon, mark centenary
Submited by Gillan - Comment RSS 2.0 - leave a comment - trackback