Lang Walker, the Sydney property tycoon who built an empire across Australia, passed away on January 27, 2024, at the age of 78.
Lang Walker, Sydney property developer
Walker was a towering figure in the Australian business landscape, with his company, Walker Corporation, responsible for iconic developments like King Street Wharf in Sydney and Federation Wharf in Melbourne. He was also a major philanthropist, supporting the arts, education, and medical research.
Lang Walker Personal Stats
|Diploma, High School
|Blake, Chad, Georgia
|Australia’s 50 Richest (2023) #18
Lang Walker’s Legacy in Points:
- Built a property empire with over 1,000 projects across Australia, including King Street Wharf in Sydney, Collins Square in Melbourne, and Riverlea in Adelaide.
- Expanded globally with developments in Singapore and Malaysia.
- Awarded an Order of Australia in 2015 for his contributions to the community.
- Supported numerous causes, including:
- St Vincent’s Curran Foundation and neuroscience research at the Garvan Institute of Medical Research.
- Lang and Sue Walker Centre for Hearing Research at the Garvan Institute.
- St Vincent’s Prostate Cancer Centre.
- Children’s Cancer Institute Australia.
- Australian Olympic sailing team and Youth Sailing Academy.
- Inducted into Property Council of Australia’s Hall of Fame in 2017.
- Honored for his immense contribution to Australian life and the property industry.
- Owned the private $100 million Kokomo island resort in Fiji.
- NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet: “Walker transformed a humble family firm into a company whose name and work was recognised internationally. He will be deeply missed.”
- Business Council of Australia President Tim Reed: “Lang Walker was a true entrepreneur who built a successful business empire from the ground up. He was a generous philanthropist and a strong advocate for Australia. We offer our condolences to his family and friends.”
- Art Gallery of New South Wales Director Michael Brand: “Lang Walker was a great supporter of the arts in Australia. His generosity has helped us to acquire many important works of art. We are deeply saddened by his death.”
Lang Walker’s death is a reminder that life is precious and that we should make the most of every moment. He was a man who lived life to the fullest, and his legacy will continue to inspire us for generations to come.
What is the net worth of the Walker Corporation?
Forbes estimated Lang Walker’s net worth through Walker Corporation to be $6.6 billion in 2022. This estimate is based on publicly available information, such as property holdings and project values.